Thursday, March 3, 2011

Gardening: Tree Education

Looking for a tree can be stressful. What tree should I get if there are power lines overhead? I'm tired of looking straight into my neighbor's windows, what kind of evergreen should I get? I just need a good shade tree but is also drought tolerant. Or I need all of the above but a Utah native tree. Try this awesome tree browser website from Utah State University! Complete with pictures and interesting facts.

http://treebrowser.org/treeBrowser/usuTreeBrowser/index.html

How many times have we driven past schools, parks and libraries and thought they could use some more trees!  Arbor Day is the last Friday in April. If you sign up for a $10 membership at: http://www.arborday.org/states/?state=UT
you can receive 10 free trees. Click on membership tree packages that grow well in Utah, and choose from several packages. I know from personal experience that schools love donated trees. Look for the trees I donated to Union Middle School at the end of March!

- Christine Green

No comments:

Post a Comment